Monday, October 22, 2007

Rhinebeck!






Ok, so I wasn't going to go. Well, I was going to go but I had worked a 12 hour shift the day before and the shop was supposed to be busy on Saturday with the craft show and the train coming to town. I could go on with the excuses but no one cares really. I was going with Dianna and wanted to go Sunday, she wanted to go Friday night and i just wasn't up for it. What I didn't know is she left and assumed i wasn't coming. I called her Sat. am to find out the plan and to my surprise and disappointment she was already there! Now who wants to drive 3 hours alone? Not that I can't, I just don't like to. Now here's the good part..John was going on a motorcycle ride to....? NEW YORK! Whewhew! So with backpack in tow we got on the bike and rode the 3 hours down the Mass Pike and Taconic state parkway. What an amazing ride! Awsome beauty, leaves still pretty and the wonderful smell of fall. The weather was really nice, not too cool. He dropped me off at the entrance took my helmet and jacket back with him, you'll see why this was seredipitous later. The cars, oh my, the cars! That meant people, knitting,spinning and weaving people. Wow, that many in one place all with wool and fiber in common. Incredible.

I met up with 'them' in one of the buildings, them as in Dianna and the lovely Emily, I didn't know she was there. What a wonderful surprise.
We ate lamb, the best apple turnovers in the world, and cheese.
We shoppped and shopped, amazingly we still can walk. It was indescribable. You know when you go to a fair and the people are just moving like cattle? If you bump someone they either say something derogatory or give you a dirty look. NOT here. It was nice, I know not very elaborate word for it but it was NICE. There were bags, backpacks, strollers, kiddiepacks, baskets, and anything you can think of to carry your stash in. People has no choice but to bump you but no one cared and if they did there were apologies all around.
The picture at the top of the page is Dianna's car before the trip...in the parking lot, before we emptied it out to fit all our take.
The place was mobbed. Fun mobbed. Glad we were going back on Sunday. The selection was incredible, a yarn snobs dream. We met the Bourgois' from Ontario with their Philosophers wool sweater and shawl kits. Eugene and Anne are a delight. I splurged on a cardigan of lavendars and purples. I've been admiring them on line for a long time and would love to learn the 2 handed techniques.

We saw the lovely Yarn Harlot herself amoung the crowd and signing books. I already have all her books signed so I felt funny just saying hello but she accomodated me with a picture, Love the sweater Steph!

I also went out on a limb and bought me some natural colored cashmere. WOW..amazing. It's for me!!

I also got a drop spindle and some fabulous merino and mohair roving in a divine wine color. I'm going to learn, really!

The car was so full on the way home I couldn't see out the windows. I was in the back.

No comments: